On April 16, 2016, the Woodside Library opened after a nine month renovation. The opening celebration marked a full day of activities for all ages, kicked off by a ribbon-cutting ceremony featuring presentations by the Mayor, Town Manager, council members, and community representatives.
Fun for Everyone
Entertainment included a performance by Master Magician Dan Chan, presentations by local author Erin Gleeson and henna artist Leah Eliason, an appearance by Curious George, and live music from the Golden Gate Jazz Trio. Other activities during the day included 3D printing demos, commemorative button-making, tours of the California Native Plant Garden, and art displays featuring work by local artists and children. A free barbecue lunch presented by the Friends of the Woodside Library and the Woodside Town Recreation Committee was also enjoyed by many of the over 700 visitors to the Library on opening day.
The renovation was a joint project with the San Mateo County Libraries, the Town of Woodside, Friends of the Woodside Library, and Group 4 Architecture. The $3 million renovation took nine months to complete and has created a space that invites visitors to find inspiration from independent and shared learning, build community and personal connections, and create and advance knowledge and culture.
Some key improvements:
- Increased power and data outlets throughout the building to help emerging technology use.
- Created a dedicated children’s place to offer a playful, age appropriate space that encourages exploration and excitement for reading and learning.
- Established a unique teen space that emphasizes teen collections and supports collaboration for teens to read, learn and study with their peers.
- Added a meeting room, called the Learning Center, which allows users to read and study, as well as attend programs and classes.
- Improved the building’s structural elements including ADA standards for access, new restrooms, and seismic upgrades.
Come on By!
Visitors to the new Woodside Library are surprised and delighted by this new, vibrant space in the community. Let us welcome and delight you too!
Tell us what you think of the changes in the comments below.