Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders have a diverse, deep heritage spanning thousands of years and have shaped the history of the United States. Every year in May, we recognize Asian Pacific American Heritage Monthopens a new window by celebrating the accomplishments, history, and culture of Asian American and Pacific Islanders.
Typically, we celebrate this special month at our libraries with in-person events, crafts, author readings, and community celebrations. Due to shelter in place, we'll have to get a little creative this year! Let's recognize Asian Pacific American Heritage month through film and museum tours. You can also view the Asian Pacific American Heritage Month's websiteopens a new window to find music, poetry and literature, videos, and art exhibits.
Celebrate APAHM Through Kanopy
Kanopyopens a new window offers more than 30,000 of the world's best films, from award-winning documentaries to classics to new releases. You can sign up for free with your library card and watch up to 10 movies per month. You can download the Kanopy app for your preferred viewing device. (Apple TVopens a new window | Google Playopens a new window | Rokuopens a new window | Chromecastopens a new window | Fire TVopens a new window)
Follow the list below for Kanopy movies, shows, and documentaries that feature Asian or Pacific Island landscapes or characters. You can also search within Kanopyopens a new window for films related to Asia, too.
- Native Planet Program Pt. 1: Restoring the Mauriopens a new window
- Hunt for the Wilderpeopleopens a new window
- The Islandersopens a new window
- Hawaii Valcanoesopens a new window
- Proof of Loyaltyopens a new window
- Heart of the Sea: A Portrait of Legendary Surfer Rell Sunnopens a new window
- He Toki Huna: New Zealand in Afghanistanopens a new window
- The Endless Summeropens a new window
- Mighty Ukeopens a new window
- Japan: Geography and Early Culturesopens a new window
Tour Museums and Exhibits
Many museums have exhibits and displays of art, history and culture in honor of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. The Smithsonian's Asian Pacific American Centeropens a new window is a great place to start! The Smithsonian has a number of free online exhibits available for viewing.
- Folk Hero: Remembering Yuri Kochiyama Through Grassroots Artopens a new window
- A Day in the Life of Asian Pacific Americaopens a new window
- The Nesei Soldier: Congressional Gold Medalopens a new window
- H-1Bopens a new window
- Art Intersections: Asian-Latino Pop-Up Museumopens a new window
How are you celebrating Asian Pacific American Heritage Month? Let us know in the comments.