Grab your helmet, fill up your water bottle, hop on your bicycle and ride out to your nearest San Mateo County Libraries location during our Bike to Your Library Weekend, Friday, May 20 - Sunday, May 22.
This Bike to Your Library Weekend comes with special news. San Mateo County Libraries is expanding our Book-A-Bike service to all locations starting Friday, May 20!
We know many of you have enjoyed cycling this past year, so make sure to visit us for this special three-day event. This year we have teamed up with local partners to provide fun and educational experiences for everyone. We will also have bicycle swag provided to us from Commute.org, opens a new window, so read on for details!
Bicycle Safety Inspection Clinic
San Mateo County Libraries has partnered with Velofix, opens a new window, a mobile bicycle maintenance team, to offer free bicycle safety inspections at six of our locations. During the inspection, Velofix’s bicycle technicians will inspect your bicycle and provide the following:
- Air up all bike tires
- Lubricate bike chains
- Tighten the bicycle bolts and bike seat post
- Alert owners of any issues that need repair
- Provide service/repair recommendations only
- Note: there will not be replacement parts installed during the bicycle safety inspection
This event is first-come, first served and we anticipate each bicycle inspection to last about 15 minutes. All are welcome to join.
Friday, May 20
- San Carlos Library from 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
- Belmont Library from 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Saturday, May 21
- Woodside Library from 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM
- Half Moon Bay Library from 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM
- Millbrae Library from 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
- Brisbane Library from 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Bicycle Basics Workshop
Do you ever find yourself interested in learning more about maintaining your bicycle? If so, this workshop is for you! San Mateo County Libraries has partnered with Cycle to You, opens a new window and Bikes Haven, opens a new window to share best practices for owning and riding a bicycle. This fun workshop will be informative and offer time for a Q&A. All are welcome to join.
Friday, May 20
- San Carlos Library from 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Foster City Library from 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Saturday, May 21
- Portola Valley Library from 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Half Moon Bay Library from 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Millbrae Library from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Pacifica Sanchez Library from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Sunday, May 22
- Belmont Library from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
North Fair Oaks Library from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Bay Area Bike to Work Day - Vallemar Energizer Station (Pacifica)
Celebrating Bay Area Bike to Work Day, opens a new window, our Pacifica Sharp Park community library staff will join the Pacifica Parks, Beaches & Recreation Department, opens a new window to encourage bicyclists on their way to work. Stop by the energizer station (located at Highway 1 and Vallemar) to learn more about bicycling in the area, receive bicycle swag and check out other related offerings.
Friday, May 20
- Energizer Station at Highway 1 starting at 6:30 AM
Bike to Wherever Day Bag Giveaways
In partnership with Commute.org, opens a new window and the Silicon Valley Bike Coalition, opens a new window, San Mateo County Libraries will have bicycle giveaway bags on hand for those who ride to one of our libraries. Riders can also “pledge to ride” to any of the events for Bike to Your Library Weekend or Bay Area Bike to Work Day and be entered to win additional prizes.
Making a pledge, opens a new window is optional and free.
Book-A- Bike is Expanding to All San Mateo County Libraries!
In addition to Bike to Your Library Weekend, consider using our Book-A-Bike service. Bikes are loaned for one week. That is right, seven days of unlimited bike use!
We're excited to announce our Book-A-Bike service will soon be offered at all locations, expanding to six new locations beginning Friday, May 20.
Current Book-A-Bike Service Locations:
- Belmont Library
- Brisbane Library
- Half Moon Bay Library
- Millbrae Library
- San Carlos Library
- Woodside Library
New Additions to the Book-A-Bike Service Beginning Friday, May 20
- East Palo Alto
- Foster City Library
- North Fair Oaks Library
- Pacifica Sharp Park Library
- Pacifica Sanchez Library
- Portola Valley Library
The new Atherton Library is still being completed. It will offer the Book-A-Bike service when it opens this spring.
How do you qualify to borrow a bike? We are glad you asked! Here is what you will need:
- Must be 18 years or older and live in San Mateo County
- Have a valid library card that begins with “29041”
- Complete a waiver prior to borrowing the bicycle.
You may reserve a bike by visiting our San Mateo County Libraries Room/Equipment Reservation page. Bicycles must be returned to the same library they were borrowed from.
Comment below to let us know which library you plan on riding to for Bike to Your Library Weekend.