San Mateo County Libraries will honor children all month long in April by naming it the Month of the Young Child! Join us at our 12 branches for family-friendly activities and musical performances aimed to please and entertain the younger children in our homes. We will wrap up the month with book giveaways in the final week of April in honor of Día de los Niños, a nationally celebrated holiday on April 30th. Get in touch with your local branch to see which special performance or activity will host the book giveaway.
In April be on the look out for musical performances by:
- Mariela Hererra during Mariela's Music Time!
- El Trio de Guitarras de Mexico, a Mariachi band, will be entertaining the entire library with their vibrant musical tones and energy.
- Baila, Baila a Southern California bilingual band will have the whole house rockin’ and rollin’.
Workshops and Classes
Learn something new during:
- Bubblemania! Delve into the magical where a trained bubbologist will teach us about the science and fun of bubbles.
- Baby Sign Time, where it is never too early to learn a new language.
- Yoga Storytime With Leyna. Take a deep breath and find your inner peace during this special storytime.
- Learn all about the Palo Alto JR Museum and Zoo and meet a few of their animals during their Zoo Animals visit!
There is no better way to learn than through play. Join us during these family friendly activities:
- Rock Painting with Rachel, where she will share her artistic abilities and inspire the young child in all of us.
- Library Mini Golf! Challenge your friends and family to a friendly round or two around the library and get to know subject areas you have never glanced at before.
Need ideas on how to bring more early literacy activities at home during April? See our Month of the Young Child Activity Calendar and try something new at home every day.
Do you and your child have your own activities? Share them in the comments below.