Did you know that May 18 is International Museum Day, opens a new window? Museums are a fantastic way to learn about artists we love and discover new favorites. The Capitoline Museums were some of the first museums to open their doors to the public, starting in 1734. Using our Discover & Go offering with your library card, you can visit local museums such as the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, opens a new window, CuriOdyssey, opens a new window, Bay Area Discovery Museum, opens a new window and many more.
To reserve your museum tickets, all you need is your San Mateo County Libraries card. Go to our Museum Passes page under the services tab on our website. You will be asked to enter your library card number and pin. You can then select a date and find available museums or attractions for that date.
Would you like to explore museums from the comfort of your own home? Here are a few that offer virtual tours:
- The Vatican Museums, opens a new window, Vatican City - My personal favorite is Raphael’s Rooms where I can stare at School of Athens for hours.
- The Louvre, opens a new window, Paris - The tour Founding Myths: From Hercules to Darth Vader is my personal favorite.
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, opens a new window, Seoul - Some of the virtual tours are animated which makes for a unique experience.
- National Museum, opens a new window, New Delhi - The Arts and Traditions exhibit is both informational and beautiful.
- Natural History Museum, opens a new window, London - The dinosaurs and the blue whale are amazing!
- Museo Frida Kahlo, opens a new window, Mexico City - Frida Kahlo is one of my favorite artists and this is a great way to learn about her and her art.
Have you used our Discover & Go passes? Please share your experience below!