Katie Woods, San Mateo County Libraries
Caroline Cheung, City of Brisbane
Michelle Durand, County of San Mateo
BRISBANE, CA — The community is invited to join together with San Mateo County Libraries, the City of Brisbane, and County of San Mateo for a festive grand opening event on Saturday, October 23.
The ceremony will begin at 10 a.m. October 23, in front of the new 7,670-square-foot library located at 163 Visitacion Avenue with remarks from distinguished speakers. We will then welcome attendees to explore the library, see all the wonderful amenities, and participate in featured programming throughout the day.
“Completing construction and opening the new Brisbane Library during the pandemic was bittersweet,” said Brisbane Mayor Karen Cunningham, who represents the city on the Library JPA Governing Board. “Now, we are thrilled to give the new library and our community the full celebration they deserve. This library will impact Brisbane for years to come with its innovative features, incredible library staff, and inspiring designs.”
The event will run from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The ceremony will also be shown virtually on the City’s, opens a new window and Library's, opens a new window Facebook pages. For more information on this event and the new library, visit smcl.org/BrisbaneCelebration.
Exciting Library Features Include:
- A collaborative makerspace that includes 3D printers, a high-performance laser cutter, GoPro camera kits, and sewing, quilting, and embroidery machines
- An expansive children's area with special interactive play walls that feature the local native Mission Blue butterfly and an LED play interactive star, celebrating Brisbane as the “City of Stars”
- A quiet reading room that is acoustically separated and designed for reading and individual work
- Indoor/outdoor connections with large windows, and doors to the library courtyard and children’s garden
- A mural in the library courtyard painted by Precita Eyes, a project led by the Friends of the Brisbane Library and which captures historical and present-day scenes of Brisbane
- A History Room that will celebrate and highlight Brisbane’s local and unique history
- The City’s first Public Art installation, that features a kaleidoscope of glass butterflies
- The new library was designed to be a Zero Net Energy building
About San Mateo County Libraries
San Mateo County Libraries is a Joint Powers Authority that operates libraries in the communities of Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Millbrae, North Fair Oaks, Pacifica, Portola Valley, San Carlos, and Woodside. San Mateo County Libraries ignite growth through transformative experiences. Visit smcl.org for information about our community libraries, extensive digital and physical collections, innovative services, and numerous online resources and virtual programs and events.