What’s the Most Important School Supply? A Library Card!
September is Library Card Sign-up Month, a time when libraries nationwide join together to remind parents, caregivers and students that signing up for a library card is the first step towards academic achievement and lifelong learning.
Throughout the school year, public librarians and library staff will assist parents and caregivers with saving hundreds of dollars on educational resources and services for students. From free access to STEAM programs/activities, educational online resources, in-person and virtual homework help, technology workshops to the expertise of librarians, a library card is one of the most cost effective back to school supplies available.
How much money can you save? Use this handy Library Value Calculatoropens a new window to find out!
10 Things You Can Do With Your Library Card
- Stream movies with Kanopy and Hoopla
- Become your very own movie director, borrow a GoPro or a T6i camera Kit.
- Get passes to local museums like Hiller Aviation Museumopens a new window, SFMOMAopens a new window, CuriOdysseyopens a new window and more
- Take practice tests for the SAT or CA Driver Permit
- Learn something new using video tutorials and classes on Lynda
- Borrow a Ukulele
- Get a diploma online with Career High School Online
- Learn a new language with Mango Languages
- Fix your car with Chilton Library
- Discover more about your family with Ancestry Library Edition (only available in library)
Strike a Pose
Head to a San Mateo County Libraries location during September to see what's new, and strike a pose with our giant library card. Share your photo on social media to encourage friends and family to sign up for their own library card, and be sure to use our hashtags!
- #LibraryCardSignUp opens a new window
- #SMCLibrariesopens a new window
- #MyLibraryIsIncredibleopens a new window
Share Your Photo for a Chance to Win!
The American Library Associationopens a new window wants to know what makes your library incredible. Share your answer using text, photos, or a short video on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #MyLibraryIsIncredible or post directly to the I Love Libraries Facebook pageopens a new window. One randomly selected winner will win a Visa gift card worth $100. Entries are due Friday, September 21 at 10:00 AM.
Do you have friends who don't have library cards? Invite them to the library and tell them libraries do amazing things! You can also share what you love about the library in the comments below. Help spread the word!