New inductees to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, opens a new window have been announced!
The Class of 2019
The Cure, Janet Jackson, Stevie Nicks, Roxy Music, The Zombies, Radiohead, and Def Leppard are the 2019 inductees. They join 330 other past inductees, honored for their contributions and influence on rock and roll music. The complete list of inductees, opens a new window can be viewed on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame website. Inductees include not only musicians, but producers, engineers, and other folks who have made an impact on the genre.
About the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Founded in 1983, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame built its famous museum in Cleveland, Ohio in 1986.
Some Rock & Roll Hall of Fame fun facts:
- They have a cool library and archive! Their catalog is searchable online via the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Library & Archive website, opens a new window. Next time you're in Cleveland, you can make an appointment to use their library. Meanwhile, check out their list of comprehensive online databases, opens a new window--it's a treasure trove of resources for any music scholar or fan!
- The Library and Archives staff created a helpful zine to show you how to preserve your records (analog and digital) at home. It's called Eighty-Eight Lines About Forty-Four Techniques, opens a new window.
- Their Library and Archives offers internship and volunteer opportunities, opens a new window!
- Their education outreach department, opens a new window offers lots of music programs for kids of all ages--everything from toddler music therapy at Head Start, opens a new window to free curriculum-based resources for teachers, opens a new window.
- They have a cool easily-searchable database called Rock Hall Edu, opens a new window that has educational articles, videos, and more.
- They run an interesting blog called Stories of Rock, opens a new window that features articles and tidbits about their inductees.
Hailing from England, The Cure have created dreamy goth synth hits since 1976. They are still going strong, with a new album coming out next year.
The youngest child in her famous family, Janet Jackson is finally getting her due next year!
Admittedly, this is the one I'm most excited about. From their early years as glam rock outer space freaks to their '80s peak as totally suave romantic hitmakers, Roxy Music has always been a blend of catchy and cool. My dream is that Brian Eno (who was in the early version of Roxy Music) makes an appearance when they get inducted.
Also hailing from England, Radiohead formed in 1985. Seven years later, they had a hit called "Creep" and they are still one of the most popular bands around. I have a soft spot for the uber melancholy "Fake Plastic Trees."
Heavy metal band Def Leppard are another English band in the 2019 class. Interestingly, there is a "Fan Vote" for inductees and Def Leppard came in #1 out of all the potential 2019 nominees.
The 2019 Induction Ceremony, opens a new window will take place on March 29, 2019, in Brooklyn, New York.
Who are your favorite Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees? Let us know in the comments!