When’s the last time you said hello to your library? It’s time we reintroduced ourselves.
San Mateo County Libraries joins more than 200 libraries and organizations worldwide to participate in Outside the Lines, opens a new window, a week-long grassroots initiative – September 11-17, 2016 – celebrating the creativity and innovation happening in libraries. Together we're working towards shifting perceptions of libraries and reconnecting our communities with the creativity, technology, discovery, and all of the fun and unexpected experiences happening in libraries today.
Our libraries are about so much more than just books – think:
- Online Resources: eBooks, eVideos, eMagazines, streaming music, newspapers, premium databases, and select websites
- Computers and technology: WiFi hotspots, portable charging devices, 3D printers, and laptop and iPad checkouts
- Programs, classes, and events: web design, filmmaking, robotics, music, cooking, yoga classes, and many more
- Community services: Discover & Go museum passes, Summer Learning Challenge, opens a new window, homework help, opens a new window, online high school diploma, Small Business Development, and Veterans Connect
...The list goes on and on.
Throughout the week, we will host creative and unexpected activities meant to demonstrate how our community libraries are more relevant than ever before. Have some fun and get involved in this week-long celebration!
- Keep an eye out for our libraries out and about in the community, perhaps at a coffee shop, BART or train station, farmers market, or the park
- Attend events throughout the week to see what unique twists our libraries might introduce
- Declare your library love online with the #getOTL hashtag
- Share your awesome library experiences on our Facebook, opens a new window and Twitter, opens a new window pages
- Visit your library, bring your friends, and sign up for a library card