Are you looking for work or trying to land that perfect job? Join us for Workforce Wednesdays! We’re offering live online workshops that will help you plan your job hunt, write a strong resume, ace the interview, and more.
These workshops are presented by community experts and will be aired on the free Zoom, opens a new window platform. Time for Q&A will be held near the end of each program. Please register in advance. Keep reading for more information about workshops, helpful online resources, and other external employment resources for those affected by COVID-19.
Planning Your Job Search Presented by NOVA Job Center, opens a new window
Wednesday, July 15 • 1:00-2:00 PM
The job search is an ongoing process of identifying job leads, networking, and applying for jobs. Our first Workforce Wednesday, presented by NOVA Job Center, opens a new window, will help you formulate a job search plan to improve your success and get you back to work faster.
Intro to LinkedIn Presented by Upwardly Global, opens a new window
Wednesday, July 29 • 4:00-5:30 PM
In this workshop, the experts from Upwardly Global, opens a new window will show you how to create a well-presented LinkedIn profile, with a breakdown of the kinds of information you should include in every major section. You’ll also learn insights about LinkedIn's many uses.
Resume 101 Presented by Upwardly Global, opens a new window
Wednesday, August 12 • 4:00-5:30 PM
Learn the ins-and-outs of Upwardly Global's, opens a new window standard professional resume, which was developed over the course of 20 years to help thousands of professionals get their foot in the door.
Ace the Interview Presented by Upwardly Global, opens a new window CANCELED
Wednesday, August 26 • 4:00-5:30 PM
Upwardly Global, opens a new window will help you gain strategies for success in job interviews, including a breakdown of common interview questions and how to answer them.
Online Resources for Job Seekers
We also offer online learning and resources, opens a new window for job seekers that you can access anytime from the comfort of your home. To access each online resource, use your San Mateo County Libraries card to log in.
- Udemy, opens a new window: Get better at your current job or learn skills for a new one! Access over 4,000 courses such as accounting, web design, or business courses for ESL students.
- Lynda, opens a new window: Do you want to expand your knowledge or switch careers? Learn from video courses like Become a small business owner or IT security specialist.
- VetNow, opens a new window: Are you a veteran? VetNow offers specialized job services for veterans, including resume review and help from a live job coach.
- Career Online High School, opens a new window: Your journey towards career success starts with a HS Diploma! Earn an accredited HS Diploma and get a career certificate in a high-demand field. To begin the process, complete an "Are you ready?" survey, opens a new window.
- Brainfuse HelpNow, opens a new window: Get help studying for the GED or HiSET exams, review your resume with an online writing coach, or learn how to use MS Word, Excel or Powerpoint from a live expert. After logging in, visit the adult learners, opens a new window section.
Employment Resources for Those Impacted by COVID-19
- EDD COVID-19 Resources, opens a new window (en español): File for Unemployment, disability or paid family leave benefits.
- OnwardCA, opens a new window: One-stop resource for Californians impacted by joblessness related to COVID-19.
- CalJobs, opens a new window (en español): Statewide employment and training portal from the California EDD.
- GFC Global, opens a new window (en español): Learn important computer skills and practice job skills online.
Are you planning on using a Workforce Wednesday workshop or online resource to aid in your job hunt? Let us know in the comments!