Join us at the San Mateo County Libraries as we welcome in winter with sounds from local musicians!
Wintertime may get cold and gray, but it has a silver lining for those who take the time to listen. As the days grow shorter and a winter chill descends, wrap yourself up in some soothing sounds at a library location near you.
Michael Anthony Nigro, Classical Guitar
Michael, opens a new window has performed across the United States and abroad, playing concerts in the Philippines, Argentina, Chile and Bulgaria. He has given concerts and master classes for numerous universities, performing arts centers, church concert series, guitar societies, libraries and museums, including Auditorio Juan Victoria in San Juan, Argentina, Salon Parroquial-Conciertos “El Rincon” in Villa-General Belgrano, Argentina, and the Ventura County, Colorado Springs, Sacramento, Bloomington, Jefferson, Knoxville and Portland Guitar Societies.
- North Fair Oaks Library: Saturday, December 3 at 11:00 AM
- Millbrae Library: Saturday, December 3 at 3:30 PM
- San Carlos Library: Sunday, December 4 at 2:00 PM
Led by flutist Gail Edwards, Bel Canto Flutes, opens a new window is an adult flute choir and their performance features members of the flute family including alto and bass flutes and the piccolo. Their repertoire spans the ages and shows why the flute is one of the most popular instruments. Join us in this musical adventure to learn and hear one of mankind’s oldest instruments.
- Pacifica Sharp Park: Monday, December 5 at 6:30 PM
Dave Rocha is a professional jazz trumpet player who has performed coast to coast, including NYC, LA, Seattle and SF Bay Area. His band plays an eclectic mix of jazz standards (by Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, John Coltrane, etc.), “pop” tunes (Cole Porter, Gershwin and Jobim) and original compositions. This covers a wide variety of styles from up-tempo bebop, “modal” tunes, swing and blues to Latin jazz, ballads and jazz waltz. In addition to his trumpet expertise, Rocha is also an accomplished flugelhorn player. This instrument is similar to the trumpet, but has a larger bell, which gives it a darker, mellower sound.
- Atherton Library: Wednesday, December 7 at 6:00 PM
- San Carlos Library: Monday, December 12 at 6:00 PM
- East Palo Alto Library: Tuesday, December 27 at 6:00 PM
- Portola Valley Library: Thursday, January 12 at 4:00 PM
Michelle, opens a new window is a performing musician, composer and music-book author based in the San Francisco Bay Area. Whether performing her own compositions or her arrangements of standards, Michelle honors the roots of jazz, Brazilian and Afro-Cuban music while adding a new voice.
- Half Moon Bay Library: Saturday, December 10 at 1:00 PM
- Foster City Library: Sunday, December 11 at 2:00 PM
- Belmont Library: Saturday, December 17 at 2:00 PM
- Atherton Library: Saturday, January 14 at 11:30 AM
Don't want to wait? Start listening to music right now! Hoopla has lots of great albums you can stream from your smartphone, tablet or computer.