Learn to use a sewing machine with San Mateo County Libraries!
Are you interested in learning a new skill for 2023? Why not give sewing a try!
All of our libraries have sewing machines to borrow and take home, and several of our libraries with makerspaces have sewing machines to use while you are visiting the library. In this blog post we will share about what is on the horizon at San Mateo County Libraries in terms of sewing.
This year, we will be offering “Sewing Basics” workshops to teach people foundational sewing skills. We’ve partnered with The Sewing Machine Place to offer six workshops during February and March. Techniques discussed will cover threading a sewing needle and winding a bobbin, sewing basic stitches, and working with buttons, and troubleshooting a sewing machine.
The six workshops will allow participants to get hands-on with sewing machines. Sign up today while spots are still available (registration is required).
- Atherton Library – February 23 (Thursday) from 5:15 PM – 7:30 PM
- Brisbane Library – February 24 (Friday) from 10:15 AM – 12:30 PM
- Belmont Library – March 16 (Thursday) from 5:15 PM – 7:30 PM
- Half Moon Library – March 17 (Friday) from 12:15 PM – 2:30 PM
- Millbrae Library - March 30 (Thursday) from 5:15 PM – 7:30 PM
- Foster City – March 31 (Friday) from 10:15 AM – 12:30 PM
Reoccurring Sewing Opportunities at SMCL
Several of our libraries offer drop-in workshops in which sewing machines, fabric and sewing tools are available. Learn from others, get hands on, bring a project from home and make! Check out the availability below:
- Belmont Library – Fridays (10:00 AM – 11:30 AM)
- Half Moon Bay Library – Tuesdays (10:00 AM 2:00 PM)
Grab & Sew
For those interested in borrowing a sewing machine, all 13 of our libraries loan sewing machines. Check out our service “Grab & Sew,” if you are in need! We have a fleet of Baby Lock Joy sewing machines that can help you with your creative endeavors. Reserve a sewing machine today.
For another event series that focuses on learning new maker skills, check out the beginner's podcasting series happening at the Belmont Library in February. Register to attend today!