During shelter in place, it feels like everyone has become a gourmet chef overnight, right? If you are looking to add to your cooking repertoire, look no further! We (the staff at Foster City Library) would love to share a few dishes we've been making at our homes lately. Follow along for mouth-watering pictures, helpful links to recipes and cooking eResources, and cooking tips to take from our kitchen to yours!
Cooking With SMCL: Staff Creations
Adrienne: This is a simple, no-knead bread from The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day cookbook! Baking it was really easy, especially as I have a Kitchen Aide with a dough hook attachment; just dump in the flour, water, yeast, and salt into the mixer and turn it on. Super easy and delicious!
Anya: I made Latkas! I made this dish while watching Amy Schumer Learns to Cook. The recipe is also available on her Instagramopens a new window. I also made the sauce, using plain yogurt with dill, garlic powder, lemon juice, and salt.
May: Soboro Don (Ground Chicken Bowl) is a dish that’s easy to make at home! I taught local teens how to prepare this simple meal during my Cooking With May program at the Foster City Vibe. Here’s the recipeopens a new window from Namiko Chen’s Just One Cookbook (also available as an eBook on Hooplaopens a new window)! It’s my comfort food!
Min-I: I used to rely on my child’s daycare to take care of her food. Now, The Baby and Toddler Cookbookopens a new window helps me prepare healthy, balanced food for my daughter while also preparing food for myself. If you read Chinese, 把討厭蔬菜變好吃！營養知識+挑食破解+親子食育 讓孩子學著愛上吃蔬菜opens a new window also provides some great ideas for children to enjoy eating vegetables! I made a Creamed Chinese Napa Cabbage Gratin and it came out great!
Kate: I’ve been spending my quarantine watching food videos with my boyfriend. We love to binge on the Bon Appetit YouTube channel and try out the recipes. This grilled cheese featured in the Bon Appetit videoopens a new window was delicious and extremely hearty! Did you know we also have Bon Appetit magazine available onlineopens a new window through RB digital? Check out some of their recipes for yourself!
Jenna: I’ve just recently started baking and the best part is sharing completed goods with friends at the library and family. It’s hard to pick a favorite recipe, but what I’ve been making quite often is Lemon Pound Cake! I’ve used the recipe from Once Upon a Chef With Jenn Segalopens a new window, adding a tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of milk to make buttermilk. My interest in baking started after marathoning the Great British Baking Showopens a new window.
Cooking With SMCL: Staff Cook Books and More
Not sure where to start? Check out one of these popular cooking eBooks!
- Tartine: Delve into step-by-step recipes from the local Tartine Bakery in San Francisco!
- How to Bake Everything: As the title proclaims, learn about almost every aspect of baking all in one book.
- Everyday Keto Baking: Gluten-free and grain-free, these are delicious, healthy treats!
- Japanese Cooking with Manga: Learn to cook while you enjoy reading manga! 59 easy Japanese recipes you will love!
- The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook: A recipe collection inspired by L.M. Montgomery’s famous children’s book series, Anne of Green Gables with whimsical illustrations!
- Relish - My Life in the Kitchen: Lucy Knisley looks back on her life and all the delicious food she’s eaten.
Missing out on the foodie experience? Here are a few more food-related movies, documentaries, and shows for you enjoy!
- Eat Drink Man Woman: Food, family, and drama! By the renowned Ang Lee.
- Jiro Dreams of Sushi: Meet Jiro Ono, proprietor of Sukiyabashi Jiro, a three-star Michelin Guide rated sushi restaurant. The love and detailed care lavished on each piece of sushi will have you salivating.
- Julia Child! America’s Favorite Chef: Delve into the life of Julia Child!
East Side Sushi: Can a non-Asian woman be a sushi chef? Against all odds Juana embarks on a voyage of self discovery.
Share your creations and recipes with us in the comments!