As San Mateo County navigates the current storm season, we are ready to welcome you to our libraries for a warm, dry place to seek shelter, charge up your devices, get work done or do some exploring.
- During winter storms and power outages, our libraries can be a great place to pass the time and access WiFi and electricity. Most of our libraries are regularly open until 8:00 PM Monday-Thursday and until 5:00 PM on weekends. We encourage you to check our website to ensure our libraries aren't experiencing any outages. We offer complimentary laptops and WiFi hotspots that can be checked out to use at the library or take home.
- San Mateo County, opens a new window offers important information on storm preparedness and emergency contact information.
- Storms can bring flooded roads, downed trees and power outages. In response, our libraries sometimes serve as Community Resource Centers, opens a new window or provide extra resources such as emergency kits. Visit smcl.org for the latest information on any extra resources our libraries are providing.
Know Before You Go
- If you are experiencing a power outage and are looking to head to the library, be sure to check out our website, Facebook, opens a new window, Instagram, opens a new window or X, opens a new window (formerly known as Twitter) to ensure the library you’re heading to is open and has power. View our locations to find your community library's hours.
- For the latest county-wide news regarding severe weather, road closures or evacuations, subscribe to SMC Alert , opens a new window to receive timely notifications to your phone or email.
- Before traveling in inclement weather, check local weather reports, opens a new window and recommendations from the San Mateo County Department of Emergency Management, opens a new window.
Rainy Day Reads & Games to Pass the Time
Looking for some electricity-free entertainment in case of a power outage? Our libraries have board games and puzzles available for checkout!
All our libraries also now have umbrella caddies for your rainy day needs: short or tall, there’s space for all! Next time you visit us and drop off your umbrella, take a moment to check out these titles: